The Google Keyword Planner is not an unknown tool for search engine optimizers . In addition to other professional keyword tools, Google offers this free keyword tool as part of the Google Ads application .
A Google Ads account is required to use the Google Keyword Planner. You can find the free Keyword Planner under the “Tools” tab in the Google Ads interface.
In this blog post, we want to show you how you can use the Google Keyword Planner for your keyword research and find relevant keywords. We will also show you the most important advantages and disadvantages of the Keyword Planner. Here we go!
Table of contents
- What analysis options does the Google Keyword Planner offer?
- Google Keyword Planner for SEO
- Google Keyword Planner for SEA
- Pros and Cons of Google Keyword Planner
What analysis options does the Google Keyword Planner offer?
With the Google Keyword Planner you can research relevant keywords for your Google Ads ads and for the search engine optimization of your website. In addition , search volumes and forecasts for individual keywords can also be called up. Accordingly, this tool is a valuable helper for both search engine ads and search engine optimization.
Discover new keywords
With the first option of the Google Keyword Planner you can discover new keywords in a targeted manner.
You can find suitable keywords by entering search terms or a website . After querying keywords, you will receive information about keyword search volume and related keywords that may also be relevant to you. After querying a website, you will receive various keyword ideas . In addition to the search volume, you also get information about the competition and average ad bids (average CPC). You can use phrases in addition to keywords and input up to ten seed keywords or phrases in the search area at once.
Get search volume and forecasts
With this second option of the Google Keyword Planner you can call up search volumes and forecasts for one or more keywords . You can either enter the keywords in the input field (one word/phrase per line or separated by commas) or upload them using a file.
This feature is especially useful if you already have a list of keywords and want to use Keyword Planner to see how those keywords are likely to perform . The Keyword Planner shows here how many clicks and impressions you can expect as well as the estimated costs, the CTR and the CPC . Unlike the first option, you will not receive any keyword suggestions here, only the forecast for the keywords entered .
Google Keyword Planner for SEO
As mentioned above, Google Keyword Planner for SEO is a very helpful tool. With the Keyword Planner, keyword research for the SEO strategy and content creation can be carried out. Finding the right keywords for website content is the be-all and end-all of a successful SEO strategy. The keywords should of course be sustainable and match the user’s search intention . For this it is important to observe the trend of the keywords in addition to the current search volume . The level of competition is a good indication of how difficult it can be to rank well for a given keyword. To do this, look at the KPIs competition and CPC . The Keyword Planner can therefore be used to find the right keyword or the right group of keywords for a specific topic . To do this, you simply search using a phrase, a category or a website.
Accordingly, the goal for search engine optimization is to use keyword research in the Keyword Planner to find keywords with a high search volume and low competition .
Google Keyword Planner for SEA
In addition to analysis options for search engine optimization , the Google Keyword Planner is of course primarily tailored to campaign planning in Google Ads . Because by analyzing keywords, search volume and competition, users can estimate in advance how successful the planned Google Ads campaign will be. In the Keyword Planner, the user also receives key figures such as daily estimates, impressions, clicks, positions and CPC . The choice of keyword options affects the performance of the Google Ads campaign. Here you have the following options:
- matching phrase
- largely appropriate
- Exactly fitting
Pros and Cons of Google Keyword Planner
As with any tool, there are pros and cons to using Google Keyword Planner . In the following we want to summarize the main arguments for you.
- Google Keyword Planner is free and can be used by anyone with a Google Ads account.
- With the Google Keyword Planner, new keywords and keyword ideas can be found without much effort and used for search engine optimization or ad planning.
- The Search Volume and Forecasts option provides search volume data for specific keywords . This data is very important for determining the relevance of a keyword.
- The same option can also be used to read forecasts for keywords and advertising campaigns.
- In addition to data on the search volume, the user receives valuable data on the competition and trends , which should also be included in the decision as metrics.
- The Google Keyword Planner also offers the possibility to multiply existing keyword lists without much effort .
- Due to the focus on ad planning, the Google Keyword Planner is very suitable for budget planning for Google Ads ads.
- In addition to ad planning , the Google Keyword Planner is also a very helpful tool for search engine optimization .
- To be able to use the Google Keyword Planner, you must have a Google Ads account .
- The meaningfulness of the data is limited for small advertising budgets. Keywords are grouped here by topic and similarity, which means that an exact analysis of individual keywords is not possible.
- Due to the commercial orientation , the Google Keyword Planner prefers keywords for which ads are also placed. Other topics with less ad relevance have a lower significance.
In conclusion, we can say that the Google Keyword Planner is a very helpful tool for both Google Ads planning and search engine optimization . Because this tool is free , it is accessible to everyone. All you need is a Google Ads account . If we weigh the pros and cons , Google Keyword Planner offers more pros than cons and as such can be considered a valuable tool . For other purposes that the Google Keyword Planner cannot cover, it certainly makes sense to use other professional tools , especially for theConsider Search Engine Optimization .
In our blog post on the subject of SEO tools, you will find a selection of the top 5 SEO tools that we can recommend to you. If you are looking for a partner who is familiar with search engine ads and search engine optimization ( search engine marketing ), then we are your contact. As a full-service online marketing agency, we are at your disposal. Contact now!